Some of my other pages
- On the shoulder of giants. Quotes from scientists that make me think about life
- My citations metrics
- I brought my research here: maps
- Gravity and astronomy RSS feeds collection: feeds
- Tweets from the Birmingham Gravitational-Wave Institute
- Event calendar from the Birmingham Gravitational-Wave Institute
Groups I’ve been with for some time
- Institute for Gravitational Wave Astronomy in Birmingham
- TAPIR at Caltech
- Cambridge Center for Theoretical Cosmology
- Gravitational physics group at OleMiss
- Theoretical Astrophysics Group at the University of Milan
Grants and efforts I was somehow involved with
- NASA Einstein Fellowship program (now combined into the NHFP)
- The UK Leverhulme Trust
- The UK Royal Society
- Horizon 2020 StrongGrHep RISE Network
- COST Action CA16104: GWverse
- Caltech LIGO SURF (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships)
- HPC Europa 3 infrastructure
- Maryland Advanced Research Computing Center at Johns Hopkins University
- Birmingham BlueBEAR cluster
- HPC Midlands Plus
- TV interview on gravitational-waves and black-hole kicks, aired on Cambridge TV
- Press release: Using gravitational waves to catch runaway black holes
- Press release: New insights found in black hole collisions
- Press release: When black holes collide
- Press release: Where in the universe can you find a black hole nursery?
- Press release: Birmingham scientist recognised with international physics prize
- Press release: Where do black-hole parents meet? LIGO/Virgo may provide answers
- Phyiscs.org article: LIGO’s black hole got the boot
- CQG+ article: Gravity and scalar fields: live long and prosper?
- Caltech undergraduate journal: Spin alignment effects in black hole binaries
- Outreach coverage, astrobites: LISA forewarnings can help LIGO study black holes
- Outreach coverage, astrobites: Recoil detectives: searching for black hole kicks using gravitational waves
- Outreach coverage, particlebites: Can we measure black hole kicks using gravitational waves?
- My short blurb on open GW data on The LIGO magazine, Issue 14.
- My outreach articles on the Italian online newspaper ilsussidiario.net
- Birth of an idea, how scientists talk about the genesis of their ideas. Here is my own contribution.
- Excerpts from me in Scientific American: Black Hole Factories May Hide at Cores of Giant Galaxies
Links to cool gravity stuff
- 100 years of GR milestones in APS journals: APSmilestones
- 100 years of GR, CQG special review collection: CQGmilestones
- 2017 Nobel Lectures: Weiss, Barish, Thorne
- Pretty tool to plot gravitational-wave sensitivity curves by Rob Cole: rhcole/GWplotter
- Must-read GR paper list by E. Berti.
- Great list of references to learn about gravitational waves, by M.Favata: favata/gwresources, favata/outreach
- Recorded course on gravitational waves by Kip Thorne and others (taught at Caltech in 2002 mirrored by Pau Amaro Seoane)
- Gravitational Wave distance calculator by Hsin-Yu Chen: gwc.rcc.uchicago
- Hear the spacetime. GW sounds at soundsofspacetime
- GravityInk: amazing comic-style short videos on relativity, gravitational waves and LISA.
- Funny stellar-mass black hole animations by the Cardiff group: BHbubble
- Database of neutron star masses and radii by F. Ozel: neutronstars
- Nice history/sociology article on GR and GW research: Nature Astronomy 2, 534–543 (2018)
- Great web app from a few Birmingham students with all the latest GW triggers: [email protected]
- Upcoming conferences in gravitational waves, by LIGO
- LIGO General Announcements
Other geek things
- Write python code compatible with both python 2 and python 3: cheatsheet
- How to set up a new SVN repository and give the right to others using RSA keys: SVN
- A beautiful collection of Python tricks by M. Vallisneri: vallis/salon. In particular, this is a really cool script that I generalized into filltex.
- To upload your python nerd stuff on PyPi check this tutorial (better) and also these other ones (1) (2)
- List of named colors in python and latex
- Interesting resources on data visualization EdwardTufte, somersault10824
- Store configuration files (bashrc etc) in git: here
- Lord of the rings dates are in your mac! Try: cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr
- Star Wars in ascii… Try: telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl
- LatexOnline: on-the-fly Tex compiler for web-hosted files (e.g. from github)
- Cambridge 23 research things
- Interact with your google drive from the command line: github.com/prasmussen/gdrive. Actually rclone is better.
- arxiv stats: here and here
- How real is Star Wars (according to Cambridge)? here
- Easy backup of your gmail account: gmvault
- In case you’re wondering, I’m an Inter fan. And since I’m in Birmingham now, it’s West Brom!
This website is stored at github.com/dgerosa/myweb